Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Mar 2003 11:15:14 -0800
From:         Tom Young <tomyoung1@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      Re: 250 ft-lb torque wrench?
Comments: To: Craig Oda <craigoda@COMMUNITYBUILDERS.INFO>

Craig:

240 ft-lbs of torque can be applied by pressing down one foot away from the bolt with 240 pounds, or by pressing down with 120 pounds two feet away from the bolt, or by applying 80 pounds three feet away, and so on.

Since the engine is out of the vehicle and access is not a problem, use a 1/2" ratchet - I assume you have one - and "extend" it by slipping a close-fitting water pipe over the handle. Measure out from the center of the ratchet head to the spot you select - 2 feet, 3 feet, 4 feet, whatever - and do the math to see how many pounds of pressure you need to apply there. If you have some known weights, e.g., weights for barbells and dumbbells, you can actually hang these weights with some wire or rope from that spot. Otherwise, stand on a scale, put your hands on either side of your "spot" and press down until you "loose" the desired weight according to the scale.

Try and keep your ratchet handle more or less horizontal and you can be remarkably accurate in this. --------------------------------------------------------------- Tom Young '81 Vanagon Lafayette, CA 94549 '82 Westfalia --------------------------------------------------------------- ----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Oda" <craigoda@COMMUNITYBUILDERS.INFO> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 10:35 AM Subject: 250 ft-lb torque wrench?