Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Mar 2003 15:22:31 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: 250 ft-lb torque wrench?
Comments: To: Craig Oda <craigoda@COMMUNITYBUILDERS.INFO>

A breaker bar (at least 1/2 in. drive) an appropriate sized socket, and a piee of pipe will do the job.

The formula to calculate the FT/lbs is to multiply the length of the arm times the force applied. For example, if you slipped a 4 foot pipe down on the braker bar all the way down to the socket (that half inch or so off the center won matter for this calculation), then hang a 180 lb man on the other end of the bar, you will have applied 720 ft/lbs to the bolt or nut. If the pipe is 2 ft long you will have to double the weight of the man to still get 720 ft/lbs. Or if you use a 12 foot pipe you could use a 60 lb kid to apply the force. The point is that by juggling the weight at the end of the bar and the length of the bar you can come up with all kinds of combinations of bar length and weight that will give the same # of ft/lbs.

Trick here in your case is to find a bar of a workable length for your application and then figure out what weight will work to give you the required 240 foot/lbs.

One thing, some of the mechanical pointer type torque wrenches have instructions to tell you how to multiply the torque and still measure it on the gage mounted on the torque wrench. It is something to look for. None of the break-over type torque wrenches that I have seen can do this, though there may be some out there somewhere.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver