Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Mar 2003 18:24:09 -0800
From:         Tom Young <tomyoung1@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      Which filler neck seal do I need???
Comments: To: type2@type2.com

Hi all:

According to my German parts manual I see three of these grommets listed:

251 201 139 Seal 70/60 mm 251 201 139A Seal 50/40 mm 251 201 139B Seal 70/40 mm

I assume the first millimeter number is the size of the hole in the tank while the second millimeter number refers to the size of the filler neck. It looks like the 70/60mm grommet is for early vans, the 50/40mm grommet is for later vans, and the 70/40mm grommet is an adaptor. California Import Parts says the 251 201 139B seal is an "adaptor gasket for late tank into early van" though that doesn't square with my assumptions since it really looks to be an adaptor for an early tank into a late van, which doesn't make sense.

Anyway, I crawled under the two vehicles and the filler necks on both look to be right around 60mm, so I think 251 201 139 (70/60mm) is the part I need, right? But I've been provided with a 251 201 139B (70/40mm) from one of the online vendors and told it "listed as a fuel filler grommet for a 70mm tank" and should work.

Can anybody help me out here?