Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 26 Mar 2003 23:00:40 EST
From:         Dustin Fitch <DSF70@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Super fast idle

Hey, I hear you on the idle troubles....mine a little different.

One question: you mentioned that you cleaned out the idle valve while you were in there.....would a dirty valve be the possible cause for a sketchy/gummed valve switch? Just curious if you or the list knows this.

When I had my first idle troubles, I did the same...replaced the idle stabilizer & 02 snsr.....and then I had the hi rpm' situation in park, which really stank. Turns out I had two cracked vacuum hoses under the air filter housing. Boy what a difference. As I went around and checked every little hose, it only got better. Also, I would think you should trace all the wires to the places that the ECU's wire harness goes..every single one....while you're at it with all the vacuum lines of course. This would encompass everything from the 02 sensor to the fuel injectors in the engine compartments fuel system. Just start at the ECU and follow the happy little trail. :-) Replace any wires that are sketchy. Takes a while, but it sure must give you some insight into the spinal cord (ECU) of your motor. The respiratory system is of course would be those vacuum lines. ;-\ I'm going to go through this entire procedure myself this weekend.

In a vehicle that is so tough to attain a perfectly splendid idle, etc, it seems to me that starting at the brain of things and tracing them to their finite little ends might be the only way to comb everything out for real. That is.....if your a budding VW addict such as myself.

Good luck Dustin '85 Passenger 1.9 - "Chuba"