Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:13:22 -0500
From:         John Lunetta <blun1432@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: replacing noisy lifter for 91 multivan

I had this same problem with my 90 vanagon 2.1. It turned out that on close inspection of the valve train I noticed that the the rocker on the valve that was making the noise had play from mside to side. The adjusting screw was hammered unevenly where it makes contact with the valve stem. This was do to the wavy washer that keeps that rocker from moving side to side was broken and actually i found part of it stuck to the inside of the valve cover. The parts are cheap. I removed the whole valve train as an assmbely. You need some one to hold it for you in order to take off an reassemble the clips that keep it all together. When you put it back in the engine you must make sure the pushrods are seated firmly in there lifters. It helps to put wheel bearing grease on the ends of the push rods so that they stay in place while you reassemble. Torque to specs. You can set up engine to put it at top dead center and any other positions by observing the distributer. On the out side of the distrbuter body mark the location of the cylinders with a marker. 1234. Looking at the engine from the back of the van no. 1 piston is on the right at the back of engine flywheel side. no. 2 is in front of that one, no 3 is at rear of engine on left side. no.4 is in front of that one. Adjust valves in 1,2,3,4 order. Align rotor with no 1 firing pos. pulley groove aligned with center line of case joint on block. adjust no 1. turn engine and align with no 2 firing pos adjust no 2. so on till all four are done. If the problem was only on one side of engine, you just have to do that side. I discovered this only after trying mmo, thicker oil, using VW oil filters, adjusting all valves twice. nothing worked. It went on for about 10,000 miles before I found the broken washer. I did this repair last Aug and it has been heaven since. Only rarely will I here some tapping on a cold start if the van has not been used for a few days. But it qiuckly goes quiet after about a minute of less. I used the adustment specs in the bentley manual.. 180 deg means 90 deg of distributor movment. If you take out the spark plugs you can easely turn the engine with the drive belts buy hand. Good Luck. John 90 vangon gl 193,000 miles same engine. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Kun Chang" <Albert3365@WMCONNECT.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2003 11:59 PM Subject: replacing noisy lifter for 91 multivan