Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:21:08 -0500
From:         ian Butler <ian@BLUEMOON.HPLX.NET>
Subject:      Someplace *to* take your VW in southeast MI.
Comments: To: scirocco-l@scirocco.org

Apologies in advance to posting across multiple lists; since this is of interest to all SE Michigan VW owners (I know you're out there!) I'm doing it anyway. :)

In a previous post, I talked about where not to take your Volkswagen. Livonia Volkswagen is a great example -- $86 says that they'll charge you an hour labor to not look at your car and say "Oh, this doesn't have OBD, does it? Our trained monkeys can only plug in a scantool." Denny's Service Center in Plymouth is another great example -- a month and $600 after bringing my Scirocco in, they'd burnt out the starter and replaced it on my tab, and were no closer to a worthwhile diagnostic than I was.

But! Finally, a success story. My Scirocco is rolling again thanks to Steve's European Automotive, someplace recommended by a list member -- a ways to limp a broken car, but it was well worth it. They actually knew what they were doing. They were actually respected enough to get a lot of business (the unprotected 2/3 of the lot is full with ~60 cars, including at least four Vanagons and some more esoteric Volkswagen offerings like Corrados) and I was sold despite them being a little pokey since they were swamped. They welcomed the use of used parts to save me money, actually called me and let me know how much I'd be spending, told me exactly what was wrong and then *actually fixed it*.

They also do used parts sales and scrap on the Internet, thus: http://www.steveseuropeanauto.com/

ian Butler, moving at the speed of light (or at least 90mph instead of 45) '88 Scirocco 16v, '87 Vanagon Syncro GL