Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Mar 2003 09:57:16 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: calling redline lube heads
Comments: To: TJ Hannink <tjhannink@YAHOO.COM>

From Redlines literature regarding MT-90 - "good shift ability, and synchro compatability and extra gear protection."

When I got my 88 GL, I had shifting problems from day one.

On tear down of the tranny, my tranny fluid was filled with really fine brass particles to the point of appearing golden in color. According to my repairman, this was a synchro problem.

I had a noisy tranny - it would "sing" going down the highway ... a lot like big trucks that have a worn ring and pinion gear. When my tranny was torn down, there was an abnormal wear pattern on the ring and pinion that was clearly displayed. Source of the singing.

After a considerable discussion with the mechanic, I opted to have the synchro components repaired, but not to replace the ring and pinion gears as it was the experienced opinion of the mechanic that the repair that was done, combined with my choice of new gear oil, would resolve the biggest part of the ring and pinion problem.

So, I opted for what appeared to me as the best of the best - both from the Redline literature and the historical perspective as gleaned from "The List". I put in the Redline MT-90 to deal with any future "shift ability, and synchro compatability and extra gear protection" issues.

I have not regretted it.

One final point. Somewhere, I have read there is a problem with some gear lubes causing problems with the synchros in these manual transmissions. The collected positive experiences of the members of this list had a strong impact so far as my going to the MT-90.

Regards,

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver