Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Mar 2003 08:05:19 -0800
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      replacing noisy lifter for 91 multivan
Comments: cc: Albert3365@WMCONNECT.COM

Albert, If I were in your position I would give some thought to adjusting the valves before you replace the lifters. These hydralics lifters are a bit of a moving target and perhaps the bad lifter is weak and not all bad. To adjust the lifters you can use the distributer to tell you what cylinder you are working on. The notch in the back pulley indicates TDC for two of the cylinder. If you put a piece of tape on the back side it will be easy to find tdc for the other two when the tape is at the bottom of the engine. I would begin by documenting the current lifter settings. gary Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 23:59:23 EST From: Kun Chang <Albert3365@WMCONNECT.COM> Subject: replacing noisy lifter for 91 multivan

The light tapping noise on starting the engine been going on for a while, but this time it just keep tapping very loud, and no sign of quiting. I have try the MMO trick, did not work. Because of the different tapping pattern this time, I am hesitate to drive it on the highway for 10 - 20 minutes, afraid that too much heat might burn the head gasket. I have therefore decide to fix the source by replacing the possible collapsed lifter. It doesn't seems to be too difficult to do. I have the Bentley manual to refer to and have obtained lots of information from the Archieve. However, there are several simple things just cannot be found in the book.

1. When I turn the cranshaft to set cylinders 1, 2,3, and 4 to TDC, how do I know which valves/lifters belong to which cylinders? 2. My vanagon has auto trans, do I turn the center large pulley bolt to rotate the cranshaft with the transmission in neutral? This bolt is really big. 3. The manual says rotate cranshaft 180 degree, and adjust the next cylinder. Does it mean clockwise direction? Can I judge my watching the distributor rotor?

Any suggestion will be really appreciated.

Albert