Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Mar 2003 19:05:05 EST
From:         Dustin Fitch <DSF70@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: hesitation from a stop and replacing afm

Bitter bitter bitter! You must have been walking recently, I can tell!! I hear you on the Waterboxer and I feel your frustration. First though, you are right, it is an older vehicle that needs, regularly, a good going over, just to check lines, etc, etc. You have to do this with ANY older vehicle. You have to love to work on your car too (or have the money to pay someone).

Second thing: If maintained properly, a Wasserboxer can go a long ways my friend. I have 137,000 original miles on mine with original heads. (I say this next line tenderly...) This love of an engine does not...and I mean it, not exaggerating...does not leak a drop of anything. Nada. The only oil I lose is burn off from use. The thing is a rock. And yes, getting your idle and enrichment or whatever, etc, etc, straightened out can sometimes be frustrating, but once you get those bugs worked out you (1) know your vehicle pretty well and (2) with regular maintenance and thoughtful driving, that motor will run until hell freezes over. And you made it run that way yourself.....very satisfying.

There is alot of discussion on these lists and yes, people who are anal about their buses (like me) and they talk about every little thing it does as if it were a child. It may give the impression that something is always wrong with these things, but i think there's just alot of analyzing and pickiness. Hell, I haven't listened to my radio in the thing for three days because I've been working on my '85's vacuum system, timing etc. All I do is go down the road and listen to the engine. And now that I've got it idling like a dream, the radio is still off......i just wanna hear that motor purr.

Yeah, I think I've got the bug bad now. I love my Waterboxer.

Dustin '85 Vanagon Passenger -"Chuba"