Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 27 Mar 2003 21:38:19 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: new Westy canvas
Comments: cc: Bill N <freeholder@STARBAND.NET>

> I got my new 3 window canvas today from the Bus Depot. They > said it was a made to order item and would take two or three > weeks. It actually took a week. Thanks, Bus Depot. > > I read the instructions that came with it, and they said to > remove the top completely and put it upside down on > sawhorses. Is this necessary? It looks like I will have to > take the front supports loose from the top, but do I have to > remove it completely?

No. You can prop the poptop half way up and install it that way. I put a folding chair on the roof and used that to hold the top up. My preferred method is to start by stapling or screwing the canvas corners to the poptop, then put a few in the middle and at the bottom of the canvas. Then, very slowly and CAREFULLY, raise the poptop and look for loose or tight areas. Getting it lined up such that the canvas neither bunches up nor is too snug is mainly a matter of trial and error, and if you find any tight or loose areas you'll have to remove some of the staples/screws, reposition, and test again. Continue until completed. If you're lucky you'll get it right the first time. If not, you may be cursing until late in the night. :-)

Others have installed the canvas differently. Some swear by starting at the bottom instead of the top. If you check the Vanagon and Type2 List archives you'll find many posts about it.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT