Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 28 Mar 2003 08:06:34 -0800
From:         Tom Young <tomyoung1@ATTBI.COM>
Subject:      Re: transmission removal.
Comments: To: Greg Marshall <earthboy@ROGERS.COM>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Greg Marshall" <earthboy@ROGERS.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, March 28, 2003 7:27 AM Subject: transmission removal.

> 1) In my tranny, the oil is coming out between the transmission case and > the clutch housing, not between the clutch housing and the case. I > assume when dropping the transmission that you must drop the > transmission and clutch housing together, and then seperate them on the > ground, is this right?

I'm pretty sure that's correct. As I recall, the bolts holding the two components together are *inside* the clutch housing so you can't seperate the two without first dropping the trans.

> 2) What and where is the rear main seal? Is this the one between the > engine case and the clutch housing?

If you're talking about the transmission here, I believe the rear main seal is the one that goes around the shaft at the front of the clutch housing.

> 3) To seperate the clutch housing from the transmision case, is it > necesary to remove the drive flanges?

That I'm not sure of, but I don't think so. Off hand I can't think how one affects the other.

> 4) While I'm at it, should I replace the drive flange oil seals?

I would. I've done it with the trans in the vehicle and it would be so much easier with the trans on the bench. In addition to the large rubber oil seals there's also some plastic caps you need to remove first, to be replaced by new ones.

> 5) How long fo you figure this whole process might take?

For me, I'd guess a couple of hours to drop the trans, maybe three hours for flange seals and new gasket and rear seal (that's just a wild-ass guess since I've never seperated the two housings) and another two to three hours to put it all back together. I'd guess a weekend should be enough to do the job without breaking your hump.