Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Mar 2003 10:14:44 -0500
From:         Ben huot <huotx@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      About head temp & oil temp reading! Air cooled stuff (My
              Conclusion)

Hi guys, Before a started my trip I didn't have much time to drive the bus very hard and for a long period of time, as I know mechanic and I did want to be aware of the engine condition for my 10000 miles journey I bought a Head temp gauge & sender and a Oil temp gauge & sender from VDO, those where installed properly following the instruction as to use the right wire gauge for the oil temp sender and have a independent 12V source for my gauge.

I heard all kinds of story about those gauge, being not accurate, changing with ambient temperature, stressing the hell out of you on a long run, being not reliable, OK, now here is my version.

First let me tell you 2 little stories about why I was happy (and sometime not) to have those gauge (even if they were very stressful, looking at them every minute or so for 2 month, especially after what am going to tell you right now). -In Baja California I almost had a hard attack after filling my fuel tank from a guy that sell fuel beside the road (no gas station in some remote place in Baja), 5 minutes after refuelling I looked at my gauge like always and ... 575F on the head and 260-270 on the oil temp!!!!!!!!! I cannot stop the bus because there is no place to stop (the MEX1, only highway, as no shoulder for the most part of it) and I have a 10 wheeler behind me, I started to panic and drove as slow as I could for the next 10 horrible minutes until I found I somewhat place to stop, at this time the head temp gauge is at 600F & oil at about 270F, wile driving I had no smell, no engine pinging and no real lost of power, I shot down the engine and as I make my way to the back I am starting to smell a burned oil smell mix with something else (am in the middle of nowhere), I open the rear hatch and... a plastic bag is stock in the cooling fan grill!!!! It' yours to conclude if those gauge save my day!

You won't like the next one. In Arizona, I am witnessing an increase in head temp and a small one in oil temp, I keep on driving as those gauge vary quite a bit, especially with outside temp (Oil) variation, after 20-30 minute the head temp is going toward the 475F marks, I stop the bus and try to find the problem, found nothing, keep on driving, same problem is starting again! Reach a campground and start looking seriously. Conclusion: Thermostat is stuck in the close position! At this time the head temp sender was on #1 cyl. (I switch from 1 to 3, 3 times in my trip)

This is what I have to say about my 2 gauge. The exact lecture is for sure not very precise to a certain degree, but in average it gives you a good idea of what is the engine condition, what you need to look for is not those small variation but the big one. The head temp DOESN'T vary with outside temperature as everyone were stating before my trip, I know that what you guys were saying made sense but!!! I drove my bus from -5F to 95F range. The oil temp will vary a lot (depending on the location of this one, colder outside = colder reading) when the outside temp change. Especially if you have the sender on the oils sump plate like me.

Here were my average readings. (You should know that my head temp is at 125F instead of being at the100F mark when the engine is not running and cold?) -Head temp at Idle: Head temp goes quickly down even after a 5 hours run, it stays cold in traffic, between 250F and 300F, it will climb back up very fast, the reaction of the head temp is instant as compare to the oil temp who is slower to react. -Oil temp at idle (after a long run in traffic): going slowly down to the 170F-190F ranges. -Head temp on freeway (any outside temp): 400F to 440F, mostly in the 425F area for most of the time (yes, it should be in the 375F-400F range). -Oil temp on freeway: Well, at 32F outside ambient temp the oil temp is at 180F to 190F, at 75F outside the oil temp is at 200F to 220F, it did climb to 230-240 at 95F outside temp. This gauge also act like an outside thermometer, without opening a windows we did know that the outside temp was going down when the gauge was going down! -Head temp when Climbing (70F outside): if in third gear, temp is going down, if in fourth gear, steady or going up a bit. (more rev = less heat = fan spinning) -Oil temp when climbing (70F outside): Going up in third gear and can reach the 250F-260F range if the climb is long, doesn't climb as much in fourth gear, same for heavy head wind.

Conclusion: use those gauges as a reference, a bit above or bellow the center mark for the head temp gauge is fine. A bit below the center mark for the oil gauge is fine. The #3 head cylinder temp as not much variation compare to # 1 and 2.

Data: Fuel use was 91oct when possible, no variation in power, temperature when using regular, super or medium! I probably fill my bus more than 40-50 times with all kind of Fuel Company and grade. Fuel consumption was on the high side, at best I had about 15-16 mpg, at the end I was more like in the 12mpg range (Carbs problems)

Oil was Castrol10W40 going down and 20W50 in the south. Change every 3000miles.

Timing was 8-10btdc (when possible) and 32-34 total advance (stock distributor)

Carbs sucks, period, they flooded the left side plug (#3 and 4) all the time, jetting the solex didn't help much, I was fuel jetted X130 on the right side and X127.5 on the left side, air regulation jet was .140 to.152 on the left side and .140 on the right side, at the best I had a brown plug on the left side after 1500 miles and nice one on the right side.

Cheers, Ben http://www3.sympatico.ca/huotx/engine1.htm