Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Mar 2003 13:39:37 -0800
From:         prb <prb@TELEVAR.COM>
Subject:      Vana Blue's hesitation fixed, I believe!

My symptoms had been some cutting out and bucking that occurred only sometimes and regardless of moisture, temp, altitude, and amount of time the van was running. Someone here recommened checking the air hoses for leaking. Replaced the Air Intake Boot and hoses coming off it to the AFM, and that seems to have done the trick! (Although it's early...a few months without the problem ever will make me think I have cured it, since it was an occasional happening before)

The other problem VanaBlue had very recently was a bit of spark but the inability to stay running after a "pa-RUMP-bump-bum-phewt."

This was the coil and coil wire. Wire wiggled off, apparently, and arc-ing dstroyed it and eventually coil. Both replaced now. It could have been the early problems with loose wire contact to coil that contributed to some uneven idle, because between new coil and air boot the idle is smooth now.

I also threw some more gas line dryer in the thing when I filled up after the trip to mechanic's. I'd done that before and it alone wasn't going to fix stuff, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

In the last couple days of driving around and filling up again, it appears my mileage has gone up from 17 to 22 mpg. When I bought the van it was getting 20, and then slowly this deteriorated. I guess I'm on the right track. It's so nice to have the van sound reliable when I turn the key, and not fart about going up a hill :-)

Thanks for all the people who figure out stuff out loud here in the group, since reading your quirks come back to me when I need 'em.

--Patrice 85GL "VanaBlue"