Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:27:38 -0800
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      leak tests
Comments: cc: dan@OFFTHEHILL.ORG

Dan, compression check will not tell you a thing about your kind of leak. I would sugest that you remove the pushrood shield and the other engine shield that covers the head. If you have a head leak, you have had one for some time but it just got bad enough that you can see it. On the other hand you may just have a hose leak somewhere that could be fixed in a pinch. "how's that for a punishing pun". Look at the head and look for crusty dried antifreeze drippings? Best time to spot the elusive leak is on a short run or a cold night. Short runs pump up the pressure but not enough heat to vaporize the coolant"10 minutes". Get back to us when you spot the leak. gary Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 13:00:07 -0500 From: Dan Barrett <dan@OFFTHEHILL.ORG> Subject: leak tests

Volks, In trying to isolate my coolant leak, I'm wondering what each test will tell me. If I've got a head leak, does it stand to reason that it will show up in _both_ a compression and a coolant system pressure test? Maddeningly and/or luckily, I took the bus for a spin last night and checked it for leaks once I got home. Nothing, nada, zip. No peeing like on Friday. Follow-on: anyone have a reference for a coolant system tester (there's one referenced in the Bentley, but can I use any of the ones sold down at my FLAPS)?

Best, d. 1990 GL -- "Mudskipper"