Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Mar 2003 15:26:54 -0500
From:         Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Scotty, I need more power...

You all know that I've been having idling problems for a while, or you should anyway, or perhaps you just don't care . . . :^) Anyhoo, I had figured out that I had an exhaust leak at the forward gasket in the J pipe that feeds into the cat. I figured that I couldn't really diagnose the O2 sensor till I got that leak fixed. Today, I took the van into a reputable exhaust shop here in Cville, VA, to have the gasket replaced. Unfortunately, they discovered that my muffler had a pretty good sized hole in it (surprise, surprise). I'm not too concerned about that; to my knowledge, the muffler's never been replaced and the van has almost 140K miles on it. So they're ordering parts and will install them in about a week.

After having the exhaust checked, I ran some errands, several little short runs here and there, and by the time I headed back to park the van and go back to work, my van seemed to be low on power. I started up the hill to the parking lot and couldn't seem to get up to 25 mph, so I punched it to downshift ('87 Westy, auto), and it started losing power more! I eased off of the gas and it upshifted and continued accelerating at a very moderate pace. When I pulled into the parking lot and put it in Park, it was idling roughly, at about 600 RPMs. Seems to me like it's running very rich once it warms up. Does this seem to jive with you all? I'm hoping that fixing the exhaust will take care of this, but in the meantime, I may disconnect the O2 sensor to see if that has any effect.

Another, maybe related issue/question: What symptoms would you be likely to see if you had a crack or cracks in the boot between the AFM and the throttle body? When I was replacing the oil breather hose, it looked to me like there might be a crack in that rubber boot . . .

Thanks for any ideas/advice/feedback, Marc Perdue