Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:38:57 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: VW Engines and Reliability
Comments: To: SEAN.GARRETT@ASU.EDU

As a general rule you'll find that VW cranks are Forged Steel and are very well spin balanced from the factory. In addition I've bought Cofap and Mahle piston sets that are seldom off more than I gram. OEM VW pistons are also very closely balanced if they came as an original set (I find mismatched pistons often, mostly wrong wrist pin.) Here is what I'd look for to find vibrations or groaning sounds at highway speeds. 1) Motor mounts, rear, soft or broken. Replace them all. 2) CV joints, if they are badly worn and slide and lock in either full into the tranny hub or full into the stub axle cup it can cause groaning under stress. 3) Rear stub axle bearings. Don't pull them, just drill a hole in the axle stub housing and thread it for a tiny plug (like a grease fitting or small bolt) or install a grease fitting. Use medium to light weight general purpose lubricant NOT molybdenum or graphite (it can turn the bearings into bushings). Hiding that noise doesn't fix it, those aren't normal noises ............... that is a message that says "Hey! Sean, I'm about to fail here.".

Stan Wilder

On Mon, 31 Mar 2003 14:50:59 -0700 Sean Garrett <SEAN.GARRETT@ASU.EDU> writes: > I have a 1981 Vanagon Westy I rescued from the crusher 3 yrs ago, two > yrs up > on blocks, while I attempted to rebuild the engine. I ended up > taking it in > for rebuild (block only) but did all the teardown and put all the > FI/exhaust > etc... back together myself. > > It is trouble free. The only thing that annoys me the most is > highway speed > noise levels. I think that because I did not use a balanced crank > and I have > lots of noise generated by vibration/resonance (???). This is just > my guess. > It just may be that the engine is noisy period ! However I also tore > out the > entire interior aft the drivers seat. Then insulated the van floor > and > sidewalls with noise dampener and regular auto insulation. I think > this has > cut down on some noise but cant be sure because I had nothing to > compare to > previously. > > I am now going to restore a 1987 Syncro but have looked at the > prices of > motors and will be putting in a late model/low mileage Subie 2.5 l > engine. > the cost is the almost the same and IMHO I am getting a better (more > modern) > engine (ZZZZIIIP, flame suit on). > > > Sean Garrett > 1981 Westy (his) > 1995 Eurovan Camper (hers) > 1987 Syncro project (Subie 2.5) > sean.garrett@asu.edu > >

________________________________________________________________ Sign Up for Juno Platinum Internet Access Today Only $9.95 per month! Visit www.juno.com