Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Mar 2003 12:18:01 -0800
From:         Harald Rust <harald_nancy_vw@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: About the Solex's VS Weber,
              mechanical trip report & dealer bashing!

Ben, Thanks for the trip report. It's sounds like you had quite an adventure. One good thing about having some mechanical problems is that it makes you more outgoing, and you meet more people. I have some first-hand experience with the Solex dual carbs and the single Weber progressive carb on my former '72 VW bus. I drove it across the country 3 times from Washington state to Key West, Florida, once towing a 3,000 lb sailboat (including trailer, motor, and gear) that I bought in Key West and towed back to Washinton. I didn't have any breakdowns, but I was constantly interchanging jets on the progressive carb. I hit many Ford dealerships to find the "perfect" jet for the carb. (the Ford Pinto used that same Weber carb) After awhile I had a collection of 50 different jet sizes. I became so adept at changing jets, that it would only take me about 15 minutes to take the carb out, take the top off, change the jet, and put the carb back in. The progressive Weber carb worked great on the freeway, but it was balking in town, and often hard-starting. It's true, you do have to use an 009 distributor with that carb, since you can't use a vacuum advance. About the solex carbs, all I can say is that if they have 80,000 miles on them, they're junk. Rebuilding the solex carbs didn't work for me. At that time they were outrageously expensive new from the dealer, so I switched to the Weber progressive single carb kit. In retrospect, I think I would stick with the dual solex carbs, but I would try to find brand new ones. The most problematic is leaks around the butterfly valves, and the idle system that's on one carb (right side, I think). I think Bus Depot had brand new ones for awhile. Anyways thanks again for the trip report, and I'll look forward to the pictures. Harald '90 westy