Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Mar 2003 17:18:25 -0500
From:         David Brodbeck <gull@GULL.US>
Subject:      Re: About the Solex's VS Weber
Comments: To: Malcolm Stebbins <mwstebbins@YAHOO.COM>

Malcolm Stebbins wrote:

>Having more money than brains, I have just ordered a >single downdraft Weber DFEV 32-36 progressive (from >the Canadian branch of CIP1) and my mechanic will be >trying to fit that to my van in a few weeks after >which I will be driving from Nova Scotia to Michigan. >I'll post a subjective review in May or June. Malcolm > > I had one of these on my '75 bus (with 1977 Type IV 2.0L engine) after I got fed up with constant problems with the FI system. I forget who made the conversion kit I used. It ran great, started easily, and got 17 mpg, about the same as the FI had gotten before it failed for the last time. Installation is easy but you can expect to tinker with the jetting a little. I found the idle jet that had been put in it from the factory was too small and caused the van to hesitate coming off idle. (It came with a larger jet in the package, which I installed to correct this.) It also seemed to run lean at high RPMs, which I probably could have fixed with a smaller air correction jet in the secondary barrel if I hadn't sold the van. This was all seat of the pants, though, I never put a tester on it. During highway cruising at 60 mph the secondary was just barely cracked open, so changing the jetting for it wouldn't have affected my fuel economy much.

The major problem I could see with the kit I had was the lack of manifold heat. Even on an 80 degree summer day you could see condensation forming on the outside of the manifold pipes. I didn't drive the van in winter but I think some kind of intake or manifold heat would have been necessary to prevent bogging and stalling due to manifold icing.

Another problem was the air filter that came with the kit. It was small and didn't do a very good job filtering dust or muffling the intake noise, which was substantial. Pintos used this carb, as well as a few other cars, so it might be possible to find a better air cleaner that would fit.

Oh, and watch out when you're tinkering with the linkage. If you get the nut on the throttle shaft too tight, it'll work just fine until the first time you open the secondary barrel, then the throttle will stick half open. Been there, done that, scared the heck out of me...