Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 2003, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 29 Mar 2003 20:26:53 -0500
From:         Gary McEachern <GlmceN@NETSCAPE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dropping the tranny - advice NEEDED
Comments: To: john Runberg <jrunberg@MAC.COM>

john Runberg <jrunberg@MAC.COM> wrote:

>In preparation for EveryBus I though it might be nice to have 4 forward >gears instead of the 3 I currently have. I've pulled plenty of aircooled >manual tranny's but not Vanagons, so a couple questions... > >1) where should I unbolt the clutch slave? The bracket attached to the >tranny? Just wire the assembly out of the way? Remove the two bolts that hold the slave cvlinder to the bracket > >2) Put the van in first, unbolt the shifter, and then into second to slide >the shifter off the nose, right? OK I don't think it matters. > >3) An exhaust crossover pipe overlaps the tranny by about 3". After >unbolting everything, I assume the forward end of the tranny needs to tip >down to clear the mount, then slide the unit forward to slide off the input shaft and clear the exhaust? How much angle can I do without damaging >things?

Hoses will limit angle. Make sure you remove clamps and hoses to ring tube > >4) what's the easiest way to get to the starter cables? From above or below?

Below > >5) I'll need to support the engine to remove the tranny, right? I was >planning on putting a 4x4 post over the engine opening, putting a strap >around the engine and tensioning it up. Is that OK, or is there a better >way? Come of think of it, I should prob lower the engine/tranny slightly >THEN tension the strap so I can clear that mount. Sound good?? > >Anything else I should be aware of or replace while I'm down there? Please >p-mail me (I'm on digest) if you have any suggestions. > >Thanks! > >John >

-- Gary McEachern Reading, Ma '90 Westy Subavanagon '86 Wolfy Subavanagon '87 Syncro (Son's van)

__________________________________________________________________ Try AOL and get 1045 hours FREE for 45 days! http://free.aol.com/tryaolfree/index.adp?375380

Get AOL Instant Messenger 5.1 for FREE! Download Now! http://aim.aol.com/aimnew/Aim/register.adp?promos=380455