Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Apr 2003 17:26:18 -0800
From:         Peter Lofting <lofting@APPLE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Van runs hot in traffic jams
Comments: To: mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>

I had the same problem with my '84 Westy. It turned out to be the radiator temp switch was broken for the low speed. Replacing it with a new "normal" threshold switch fixed the problem completely. I was just about to add a dashboard switch to override it but this became unnecessary after the low speed came back into service.

Peter

-----

At 6:41 AM -0800 4/1/03, mark drillock wrote: >Your experience may be normal if what you were hearing was low speed >fan. If high speed fan was coming on you have some kind of problem. > >In the radiators of all water-cooled Vanagons are 2 temp switches to >turn on the radiator fan when the coolant leaving the radiator is still >too hot. These switches fail as do other parts of this circuit most >notably the large resister used for lower fan speeds on later models and >models with A/C. It is common for the low speed to stop working and high >speed then comes on more often. This will result in more frequent large >swings in the temp gauge at low road speeds or in stop and go traffic. >While driving it is often difficult to hear the fan on low speed but >high speed can be startlingly loud, at least on models with the larger >fan motor like your 90. > >The 83+ radiator temp switch is a integrated dual temp switch. One >switch comes on at a low temp for a low fan speed and the other switch >turns on at a high temp for high speed fan operation. There are >different temp range switches available and 2.1 models with A/C use the >one that activates the fan at lower temps. Behind the driver's side >headlight lives a large resister that is used to limit the current to >the radiator fan when low speed fan operation is needed. On 2.1 models >with A/C this resister also provides the middle fan speed that comes on >whenever the A/C is turned on. These are the models most likely to loose >low speed fan operation due to this resister being burned out from >constant summer A/C use. > > >Mark

At 8:34 AM -0500 4/1/03, Vanagon man wrote: >I installed a toggle switch on my dash that is connected to the high speed >fan wire. It is a 3 pole switch, with a constant hot, a ground, and then >one wire spliced into the hot wire for high speed on the fan. > >Thus, when I am in a long drive thru, traffic jam, etc., i flip the switch, >and I keep the temps low the whole time. It took about an hour for me to >install.

At 2:07 PM -0500 4/1/03, David Brodbeck wrote: >I added two LEDs to my fan circuit, so I can see when (if) the fan >switches turn on. > >The high-speed one is on the coil side of a relay and works as expected. >The low speed doesn't use a relay, though, and at highway speeds the LED >will glow. Clearly, the fan is windmilling and generating enough voltage >to light the LED.