Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Apr 2003 17:27:23 +1000
From:         Steve Overmyer <s.overmyer@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: VW gutless & unreliable? Another perspective...

At 12:51 PM 1/04/2003 -0500, you wrote: >From: Roy Olynick <rrh@AUTOBAHN.MB.CA> > >| It would be nice to know if any one has owned a >| vanagon new how they feel about their purchase then and 15+ years later.

> ************************ OK,I can't hold my tounge (or is that my keyboard?) any longer... Sorry if this thread is past it's use-by date but I'd like to add another (viz,my) perspective on this VW bashing.

I purchased my 2.1L Waterboxer NEW in 1992.They were still sold here in Oz up till the end of that year when the T4 was finally introduced. I had wanted one for some years but had kept procrastinating over the actual purchase but when the model was nearing it's production's run I finally got moving as I still wanted a rear-engine-rear wheel drive van, having taken quite some time to accept water cooling let alone the front- wheel drive model that was soon to come ;)

Having looked at some new-ish second hand vans,still commanding a high price, I finally decided to go the extra distance,buy a brand-spanking new one and not have to deal with any PO's possible neglect.So I did...

Since 1992,I have done nearly 250,000kms and have NEVER been stranded by the van.I do adhere religiously to all servicing intervals and by doing this, I expect I have headed off any potential inconveniences before they ever manifest themselves... Presumably this is where many owners whose vans have a "past" have had bad experiences as they are dealing with previous neglect.No vehicle is immune to this problem. But is the waterboxer still more susceptable than other makes to this neglect? Possibly since watercooling a previously aircooled vehicle without changing the whole design concept is not without it's challenges,however,for the benefits of a rear-eng & RWD vehicle,a most practical load space, good handling,sheer driving pleasure as well as the less tangible qualities such as "character" and maybe coolness I for one was prepared to take the risk. I've driven Japanese vans before and many VW vans too and they are simply chalk and cheese. VWs feel safe and are fun,the Jap equivalent just a bouncy delivery van with questionable handling & braking characteristics (esp in the wet) unless carrying a goodly load in the back.Even then they are still barely acceptable.

It's not like I "baby" the van too much either.It regularly gets driven for 8-10 hour stretches at a time.It has to deal with temps in excess of 100F often in my travels,as well as coping with snow & ice on ski trips. It has dragged a '76 Double Cab on a car trailer for the best part of 500kms and hauled one of my railway cars on a trailer over 4000kms as well as on many shorter trips.It gets taken down questionable dirt tracks to surfing spots,hauls musical instruments to festivals,is camped in and has even dragged small trees out once felled when I have been clearing unwanted re-growth on my property.

Despite this,the van has it's original engine (except for the heads,naturally) original gearbox,clutch and even exhaust system.It was only recently shod with it's 4th set of tyres and has never had an ounce of rust in it...anywhere. It still averages 10L/100kms and does not use oil except a little as expected if towing a heavy trailer.It has always done that,ever since new and oil consumption has not increased.

Things I have replaced... the heads and admittedly I was a little PO'ed about that when it happened at 135,00kms but I did know it would happen one day and it wasn't a surprise. It never failed catastropically,just started leaking and so when I did get around to having it fixed, I did flat-bed it to my trusted VW mechanics,but just to be on the safe side...after all,the towing fee is a much cheaper option than risking anything more expensive. Some time later,one of the AMC replacement heads did give trouble too however that was an AMC issue with a hole drilled too deep,getting too close to the water jacket,causing an eventual leak and not an inherent VW problem. It did not break down,just used a bit of coolant and I fixed that problem at my convenience.

1 front L-H wheel bearing..water probably entered past the speedo cable and it got a little rumbly.Fixed before it went bad.Won't happen again now the hole is sealed.

One of the plastic coolant hoses...small leak after 5 or 6 years.Probably shouldn't have happened but certainly wasn't any drama.Noticed a drip, ordered new pipe and replaced.

The alternator...after 8 years it needed new brushes.Fair enough...

The battery...replaced it shortly after.Not because it needed it yet but I thought it was better to do it before it died and 8 years is a good run for any battery.

Alternator belt frays and knocks off minor coolant line.Required roadside assistance this time but only because I'd forgotten my emergency tool kit.I had a new belt, spare coolant but no 13mm spanner! Roadside assistance guy provided spanner, I did the rest.

Is this so bad in 250,000kms & 11+ years of motoring? Well I still have a slight issue with the heads but to me,the rest is only to be expected in a vehicle that gets as many varied tasks to perform as mine....and does it all admirably.

With the 5 speed gearbox that all (manual) transporters outside Nth America came standard with,I don't feel the van is slow or gutless.After many air-cooled VWs I enjoy how it runs and have no wish for a bigger powerplant.I enjoy the journey as well as the destination and appreciate the reasonable fuel economy that I consistantly get.

I have owned a Jaguar in the past as well and know only too well about cooling and electrical problems and being stranded (but aren't they FUN when going well!) The Mazda 1 ton utility truck I had for 8 years was on it's THIRD engine and second gearbox when I sold it.Sure it was a second hand truck when I bought it but so were all my previous VWs too and I never replaced an engine more than once....and all were owned longer than the Mazda.So much for Jap crap...

Sure this is all subjective and one WBX owner's experience but I do feel that one tends to only often hear the worst scenarios in a forum such as this. The archives contain many tales of woe since this is what these lists are essentially for...problem solving, and I thought it was about time it contained at least one largely and previously silent tale of a generally satisfied T3 owner....

Sorry it has taken so long to get there...;)

Steve O NSW Australia '92 Transporter WBX Kombi '68 Beetle '00 Transporter 5Cyl Double Cab '03 Transporter 5Cyl Double Cab (work truck)