Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Apr 2003 19:48:09 EST
From:         digest Herbie Dave <Vwdude1957@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Bought 88 GL today..need electric h-e-l-p!

Hello to everyone again!

After being without my 86 for several months I broke down and I bought another Vanagon! This one is an 88 GL. Man, I just can't seem to stay away from these things! My 4 year old daughter is celebrating too. There's just something about a BUS... Anyway, this Van has some electrical issues. The main issue is the lack of temp gauge. Let me give some details Apparently, there is a short (told to me by the PO) in the wiring that causes the gauge to peg as soon as the van is turned on. The PO said he was starting to bypass this (???!!!!!) but never finished. I MUST have a working temp gauge. What would you folks advise me to do here? Also, how is this wiring run and what is in line? Are their fuses outside the box, etc? The orig plug at the temp sensor is damaged too. It fell onto the exhaust and melted. Another important aspect is the A/C. The PO said the A/C stopped working despite being fully charged. He said someone jumped the A/C low pressure switch and it came on. He was told that it is possibly the low pressure switch. Hmm, I'm wondering if this is what the creative electrical work was in my old 86 van's A/C wiring? Do people bypass this switch a lot? Is it safe and or recommended? Again, my goal is to have a cheap, reliable driver to enjoy but I also want a safe vehicle. You folks are the most knowledgeable and quickest responding techies on the web. I would appreciate any tips via e-mail. Please put VANAGON in the title so I don't delete you! LOL! Thanks! Dave 88 GL PS If any of you are well versed in 94 Jettas I have another question. What would make the car shut off whenever the car is given full throttle very quickly? I can accelerate and then floor it but I cannot floor it from the get go. If I do, it shuts off. Sometimes the check engine light comes on after I restart but then it goes away! Any ideas??