Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 2 Apr 2003 22:52:06 EST
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      NVC Re: pictures at the pick-n-pull and an actual van question...
Comments: To: damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM

In a message dated 4/2/2003 6:52:25 PM Pacific Standard Time, damoncampbellvw@YAHOO.COM writes:

<< Is this general junkyard practice? >>

Yes. In my experience photos in a junkyard are usually frowned upon and good for getting tossed out. My guess is it has to do with two things which are basically the same thing. They don't want to be in the press and they don't want to be cited by environmental or city or state agencies. So the one thing is; they "don't want problems from you or any or you granola eaters and your #$%@ cameras so you can take the photos to the environmental protection agency."

At a great old Junk Yard that used to have american cars from the 40s and 50s on the eastern end of Long Island, NY I walked in with my camera and got the lecture. I explained my car didn't lock and I didn't want to leave the camera in the car, which was more or less true. The junk yard guy let me in with the camera.

Truth is the guy's instincts were good right up until he agreed to let me in. What he never suspected was I was a newspaper reporter at the time. But we weren't working on a story involving the junk yard. Although I'm sure that junk yard, and most for that matter do a pretty good job of polluting the underground water where applicable. And I'll bet one photo of a gas tank that has not been properly drained or coolant leaking into the aquifer is good to shut the place down or at least hit them with heavy fines in most states.

Best Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA