Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Apr 2003 19:11:15 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: buying a new gutless wonder

> > How many people on the list would buy a brand new >>one of whatever era your bus/van is, if it were >>released for the 2004 model year? >I would buy a brand new vanagon westy if I could.

I'd buy a new T3 (NOT a camper). Would have ordered one from South Africa if I'd had the money.

>I think VW should have taken the rear-engineed >rear-wheel drive vanagon/bus concept into >the next generation.

Amen!

>There still is much VW could have improved >on the vanagon. >Porsche kept the rear-engineed concept. >They actually discontinued their front-engineed >sports car models. VW should have done the >same with their busses. >On the vanagon, VW could have improved: >the suspension,

Multilink rear-end

>make the body more aerodynamic,

Nah... this means sloping surfaces, reducing internal space

>better soundproofing

my 84 Caravelle is a very quiet vehicle

>standard 4wd like 4motion >Volkswagens have today for better road traction

if it doesn't turn it into an understeerer

>I'd like a flat 6 cylinder with a 4 speed >automatic overdrive tranny with lock up torque >convertor

Automatic?? No way! decent 5-speed manual would be just right. No need for a 6-speed. BUT make it a strong trans (unlike the stock ones) and with synchro on reverse

>Diesel and gas options.

yes

>I wonder if VW switched to front-engineed >vans, because they are more stable at high speeds >and much less side wind sensitive? >Maybe the rear-engineed bus just reached its >limits with the vanagon

Safety was the reason every van manufacturer has changed to front-engine long-nosed vans (though Toyota still makes forward-control Hiaces, I'm glad to say... as well as front-engined vans by the same name!). It's not that the old vans were unsafe to their occupants, but that they had to be very solid and therefore use the OTHER car as a crushzone... at the expense of the other car's occupants.

>Sure, you can make a vanagon go fast, >but what about the road handling >at those high speeds?

The Germans have no problems with handling in their hot T3s. Swaybars front & rear, Koni or Bilstein dampers, 17 or 18" wheels, low-profile performance tires. Aftermarket brakes. My Caravelle did 119mph no problems, no wander etc; quite stable (it had a 3.8 V6 installed). -- Andrew Grebneff 165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand <andrew.grebneff@stonebow.otago.ac.nz> Seashell, Macintosh, VW/Toyota van nut