Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Apr 2003 11:46:37 -0500
From:         "Warner, Jeff (DSIO)" <Jeff.Warner@DLA.MIL>
Subject:      Interesting solution (what happened?)

Volks,

Last week while once again spending some time trying to fix my intermittent fast and searching idle problems, I went to the next item on my long checklist of potentially related problems and low and behold I fixed something else. I was checking to see if I had any exhaust leaks and found a dandy one at the collector. After having much fun creating flange surfaces that wouldn't leak I fixed the leak. All good. As has always been typical, the idle searching problem appeared to be gone. In fact, it appeared as though Barry was cooperating quite nicely. However, having been burnt before, I naturally assumed that the idle problems would rear their ugly heads again as soon as the family tried to take a trip somewhere. And they did, but that is another story soon to be posted. So much for the history. (oops sorry. '86 Wolfsburg Westy 2.1l automatic)

So we're out for a test drive and low and behold (here's where the magic kicked in) the transmission is downshifting like it's supposed to for the very first time since I've owned the van. It's working flawlessly! I can kick it down! It kicks itself down when necessary! It's awesome! WOOOOO! HOOOOO! (Homer Simpson voice)

I did absolutely nothing except fix the exhaust leak.

In the past I had been all through the kick down linkage, switch, etc. not finding any problems or solutions. As for the problem, Barry was always inclined to shift into the next gear too quickly and it was nearly impossible to kick it down a gear. If it did kick down it would almost immediately come back out again. But now it's perfect.

So there you go. Auto trany not down shifting correctly? Check for an exhaust leak.

Would someone like to try and explain why this worked?

Thanks for your time.

Jeff Warner Galloway, OH '86 Wolfy Westy Other VW/Audi stuff gathering dust.