Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 3 Apr 2003 12:11:09 -0500
From:         "Warner, Jeff (DSIO)" <Jeff.Warner@DLA.MIL>
Subject:      Is the Pigtail enough? (Vanagon Syndrome)

Volks Again,

So you may have read about my miracle exhaust/transmission repair while attempting idle repair. Here's the rest of the story.

Last Friday Barry is behaving very nicely. Spent so much time fixing the exhaust leak that I didn't manage to get any further with the idle problems. But it's Friday night, the eve of the Central Ohio Westy Winter Gathering and test drives to the gas station and car wash are finding no problem whatsoever with the idle. Rock solid at 950 and no racing after driving at speed (relative term of course). So I go ahead and finish prepping for the trip knowing this bliss cannot last.

Saturday morning, we're off for the gathering. We're motoring down the freeway, probably 15 miles into the trip and then all of a sudden I feel the power drop off. If I back off for a bit and then push the gas I get a little bit of oomph, but then it just falls off again. I've never had a Vanagon with the syndrome before but I've read a lot about it and it sure feels like that's what it's doing. I limp it off the freeway into a McDonalds. Keep it running long enough to see that it's running real rich with black smoke, rough and won't easily rev up. Shut it off (here I made a mistake forgetting about how with the Vanagon Syndrome I may have been able to simply restart it and the problem would be gone), I disconnected the OXS and restarted and it's fine except it's idling fast. So I disconnected the ISV and restarted again and we're fine. Drove it that way the rest of the day with absolutely no problems and great performance.

Here's the kicker you probably already anticipated. Barry already has the AFM pigtail installed. Not because it had been exhibiting Vanagon Syndrome symptoms in the past but because I had an extra one not being used. I've had this van for nearly three years and this is the first time this has ever happened. The only thing I did before the trip was fix the exhaust leak.

Thoughts?

Jeff Warner Galloway, OH '86 Wolfy Westy "Barry" VW/Audi stuff mating in the back yard.