Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Apr 2003 08:28:29 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: gutless AND unreliable...(C'mon Volkswagen!!)
Comments: To: Baxter <onanov@MINDSPRING.COM>

How does your 85 GL perform?

I had an 85 GL for several years. Drove the snot out of it. Had 205,000 miles on the original engine when I sold it and it was running strong. Only big things in the beginning were a power steering rack rebuild and a power steering pump replacement. After that just routine maintenance. I consider brake jobs, wheel bearing repacks/replacements, tune-ups, etc to be routine. The van is a machine and movable parts wear. I did have the tranny rebuilt at 200,000 miles. I have at times wished I still had that van.

The 88 GL I now have has been far more problematic. I have most everything up to snuff now, and have very few problems with it, but it was a PITA in the beginning. Mostly, because of neglect by the PO. Within the first year, I went throught a tranny rebuild, an engine replacement ( I went back with a stock WBX, which still performs well at 40,000 miles). In the 5 years I've owned it, besides the engine and tranny, it's gotten new front wheel bearings, new CV's, new clutch (twice), new clutch seals twice, brake master cylinder, clutch master cylinder, two brake jobs, complete exhaust system including new cat and O2 sensor, new speedometer, new speedometer cable, replacement of all engine compartement fuel lines and coolant hoses. Right now it looks like a new power steering rack will be coming up shortly, and possibley a new power steering pump..

Even with all this I have no plans to dispose of the vehicle. I'm not particularly hung up on the Vanagons, but it meets my needs perfectly as does no other vehicle currently on the market. If anything, I may add another Vanagon to my collection of one. Probably a variant of the basid Vanagon. maybe a Multivan or even a Westy. The Syncro sounds intriguing, but I have no real need for one as I never go where it's 4-wheel capabilities are required. In 30 years of Alaska living I never had need for 4-wheel except a couple of times. So the expense of 4-wheel was never justified, and less so today, where I now live.

So, me and the two-wheelers, we be mates!!

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver