Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Apr 2003 09:39:30 -0500
From:         John Lunetta <blun1432@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dreaded control arm bushing syndrome?

Hi, this common. My van is a 1990 and I have so far replaced both sides and now they are begining to squeak again. I have not found out which side it is yet. The real way to find out is raise van and remove wheels, remove upper ball joint (not hard ) then use a pipe or other tool and use to move that control arm up and down and you will know. I don't think that the squeaking is an indication that they have failed unleess you can detect any slop in them like play when moving the control arm back and forth or you have wondering in steering. I think they just dry out. Attempts at lubricating them are fruitless unless someone else on the list knows of a way.I have tried spraying silicone,wd-40, liqiud wrench, white lube, all failed. Taking them apart and greasing them might work but then you might as well replace them. The only thing thats a real pain is after you get them pressed out and in is that you have to spot weld them to the control arm accordind to the Bentely manual. I take the arm to a auto machine shop and pay to have them pressed out and in. I wish they had grease fittng on them. But then again I wish the Van had other things like a 6 cylinder boxer engine. Good Luck, John 90 gl ----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc Perdue" <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 7:05 PM Subject: Dreaded control arm bushing syndrome?