Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 4 Apr 2003 09:48:59 -0800
From:         Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Goofy Coolant Refresh Idea

I like this idea of perpetual replenishment.

In fact, I utilized a variation of this very concept many years ago on a '78 Datsun B310. Rather than drain and refill the engine oil on a specified service interval, I made a habit of simply adding a quart every week or so, depending on its current consumption rate, so I never had to drain it. Often I would simply wait until the red light and buzzer sounded, then add 3 quarts. Every year I might change the filter too.

I didn't mind carrying all these bottles of oil in the back seat, as they helped balance the weight of the can of gasoline I always carried back there too. See, the car's fuel tank had a leak about an inch from the bottom so anything more than about a half-gallon would drip out onto the pavement while parked. I lived in constant fear that some yahoo in a parking lot would casually toss his cigarette butt and ignite the pool of petrol lying beneath, sending my rusty but beloved Datsun up in flames, so I always kept the tank nearly empty. Just before running an errand, I would add just the amount of fuel needed to get me there, and no more. I became quite adept at estimating the required number of 'glugs' from the fuel can: 8 glugs from home to work, for example. Six glugs from work to the bank plus 9 glugs to the taco drive-thru place plus 4 glugs to home = 19 glugs.

I'll try and think of some other ways in which these methods can be applied to our Vanagons, but salt-water exotic fish and algae blooms have no place in our cooling systems.

Jeffrey Earl 1983 diesel Westfalia "Vanasazi"