Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Apr 2003 08:50:38 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fw:      Re: gutless
Comments: To: rrh@AUTOBAHN.MB.CA

Top Ten List of why people own Old Volkswagen Vans

Before you get the wrong idea! I like my van; I’ve had it for seven years and enjoyed almost consistent dependable service. My van has never left me stranded on the road, I’ve always been able to work past any minor mechanical difficulties and get home. It is only occasionally that I need parts or repairs and at that time I am made intimately aware that I have a very specialized and unique vehicle.

My Westfalia is an 83 Air-cooled which enjoyed only limited importation into the US market before the waserboxer was introduced. That being the case I find that acquisition of parts is often a challenge and the 1970 cc FI engine is costly to repair but easy to maintain.

The Westfalia is not my only transportation, I have a late model Ford Crown Victoria with a law enforcement suspension and performance package and it pulls a 26 foot Airstream like it was a feather.

My other vehicle, a soon to be classic Oldsmobile station wagon is a loaner when my brothers or two sons need temporary transportation, it has proven to be almost indestructible and every time someone runs into my tailgate the insurance company totals it and I get to bank some money and keep the car.

The list is just for laughs and is not intended to offend anybody.

10. Makes you the envy of every body that can’t fix their own car.

9. Easy to drop out! Just a couple of couple of cans of colorful spray paint and you have done it and it’s more comfortable than the doghouse when you get kicked out.

8. VW van owners avoid radar speed traps by turning on their air conditioner; it works like the wind brakes on a 747 and you never need to touch your brake pedal.

7. Conditions your body to endure the harshest climates.

6. Pre-qualifies you for the ministry; teaches patience, endurance, dedication and daily prayer.

5. Keeps you in touch with millionaire VW new parts dealers and up and coming soon to be millionaire used parts wrecking yards.

4. Successful ownership can stave off car notes for decades. Built in warning device lets you know when you’ve lost two horsepower which encourages preventive maintenance that keeps your VW alive for another two years.

3. Engine oil keeps your hands nice and soft and you always know how long your fingernails are; the inevitable appearance of clean fingernails indicates that something is scheduled to break.

2. Teaches valuable business skills in procurement, logistics, negotiating, bartering, internet-communications, scheduling, conservation and recycling.

And finally the NUMBER ONE reason why people own Old Volkswagen Vans

1. Qualifies you to get on type2 list and meet some very interesting folks.