Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 6 Apr 2003 00:20:50 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Comments: To: Locke Johnston <ljohnston.mslj@VERIZON.NET>

Locke Johnston wrote:

>I have an 86 Vanagon that has developed a couple problems that may be >related. First is that when I cold start it, it idles fine for a minute >or so then fades and stalls out. It keeps doing this until it warms up. >If I keep my foot on the gas it warms up enough after a few minutes to >drive. > Symptomatic of a failing Idle Stabilizer Valve.(mounted on top of the engine - has an electrical cable fastened to the end of it with a connector.) Sometimes cleaning this valve with carburetor cleaner is sufficient to elimnate faulty operation. Sometimes not. But worth a try.

>The other problem just started the other night. After driving a >few to ten miles or so the engine starts revving out of control. It then >rides at a real high idle kind of all by itself. > Symptomatic of a failing Idle Stabilizer Control (Removable Electronic Box accessible by removing the right tail light assembly) Remove the box, then its cover. Look for obvious burnt areas - resistors and capacitors - This is typically symtomatic of an over heat problem. A typical problem with the box. May require replacement.

Vacuum leaks will also cause these symptoms. One place to look is the Crankcase Breather hose on top of the engine. They rot, and vacuum leaks will cause problems.

The idle stabilizer system kicks up the RPM when a load is placed on the engine from 1) Air Conditioner, 2) power steering stops are reached, 3) Cold engine.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver