Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 7 Apr 2003 10:24:22 -0500
From:         Andy Yarnell <Andrew.Yarnell@KIMLEY-HORN.COM>
Subject:      Eurocars 2.2L review and Larry Chase BBQ...
Comments: cc: Bellows93@AOL.COM

Cliff Bellows wrote: >hello! dose anyone know anything about these people sounds nice.my 91 runs good but always could use more. http://www.eurocars.bz/news.php <

I had the opportunity last Saturday to meet Larry Chase, and some other Denver area Vanagon owners, what a good time. Thanks to Ken Morgan and his family for the BBQ and spending a Saturday at the shop. Sorry I missed most of the visitors, I showed up around 3:00 PM. Mike and Ben, maybe we will hook up some other time.

At about 4:00 PM most everyone headed out, but Cory and I stayed around to take a test drive in Larry's Syncro with the Eurocar's 2.2L Wasserboxer. With Ken Morgan at the wheel we push started Larry's ride (the starter went out, and is being replaced as I type this email) and we were off. Ken let the engine warm up to normal operating temperature, then hold on! The motor has good power, similar (so I am told) to a 2.2L Subie in a Vanagon, but more usable torque at lower RPM's. Ken thinks the engine falls somewhere between the Subie 2.2L and 2.5L in torque and HP. The weight of Larry's Syncro Westy, and all the extra's, plus 215/75R15 tires did acceleration, but this engine was very good. Quiet and smooth, with power! It was a tease, I want to drop this engine in my 2WD weekender, and lay rubber down! Ken ran the engine up to the redline, and then past until the rev limiter stopped the fun, this engine has really good get up and go, even in Larry's heavy Syncro Westy.

Ken was kind enough to invite me into his shop for a look at his latest "revision E" Vortec piston, and rods. The piston is a work of art, and a lot of development has gone into making a very interesting idea a reality. I can not talk specifics here, but I was just blown away by what Ken was telling me. During the test drive you could feel the power described by Ken that the piston design creates, similar to a small turbo charger with 1-2 lbs. of boost.

With any new engine there are bound to be small bugs, but Ken is very dedicated to making this engine work, and work well. He has put his engine on the line by allowing Larry Chase to do a real world test of this engine, and I commend Ken for it, he is willing to back his claims and let Larry tell all about the experience. Larry is not getting a lot out of the deal, so he has nothing to gain and will be very frank about performance and reliability of the engine. I can't wait to hear what Larry has to say after he gets back from his trek out to Kansas City and back to Denver. This will be the first long haul with the "Revision E" engine.

I hope this helps anyone looking a new engine right now, and anyone planning to replace an engine some time in the future. If I had the money right now, I would go have Ken install this engine today.

Happy motoring!

Andy 1987 Wolfsburg Weekender GL 1992 GTI 8v 1973 Bug