Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 1 Apr 2003 14:58:22 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: Exhaust parts (Befuddled Stan)
Comments: cc: Jeff Lincoln <jtlincoln@PORTCITY.COM>

> I understand that some of you have answered questions > like this a million times and I am sure it gets old however > doesn't this fall into the "just hit the delete key" category > if you don't want to answer? > > Not trying to rag on you either Stan but I am befuddled as > well. Why is it such a chore for some of the long time list > members to answer some simple questions from us "newbies"? > It certainly doesn't hurt you at all.

Jeff, you'll find that there are hundreds of people here who are more than willing to help. But most tend to be more inclined to help people who at least make some effort to help themselves. The harm in asking questions that can easily be answered yourself is that if everybody did it, we'd have an unworkable number of emails each day. Already the e-mail volume is high enough that it scares away some poeople. Imagine what would happen if all 1000 or so listmembers asked every single question to the whole list, instead of looking up the easy ones themselves. We'd all have calices on our "delete fingers" trying to sort through all the clutter!

On the other hand, it would be unfair to single your email out. There is plenty of unneccessary email posted to this list every day. (With such a large online community, that is not surprising.) Some has absolutely no Vanagon content whatsoever. At least your email had a Vanagon question in it! :-)

When you signed on to the list, I believe the welcome message explained how to locate the searchable mailing list archives. If not, they are at http://gerry.vanagon.com/archives/vanagon.html . My site is also a good reference for part numbers, pricing, and interchangeability (as are others). And you do need to buy a repair manual right away, even if just to use as a reference. The archives have plenty of info on the merits of the various manuals. Don't worry, there will still be plenty of questions to pose to the list, archives or not, and plenty of people here who are more than happy to answer them!

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. www.busdepot.com (215) 234-VWVW

_____________________________________________ Toll-Free for Orders by PART # : 1-866-BUS-DEPOT