Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Apr 2003 06:20:59 -0700
From:         pedro dos santos <pedrokrusher@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      dashboard light games

Hi Alan

I have the same problem and unfortunatelly I don't have a cure for it yet. I seem to have this problem once a year, after storing or something... I think the van is complaining that I didn't drive her for a while. :-)))) Humidity? Most probably.

This year, I got that problem when I went to pick up my van at the bodyshop after the pop-top transplant. They washed the van and 3 hours later, put it outside in minus 20 degrees celcius. I just could not open one single door. They could not keep the van inside any longer because of too many cars to work on. I thought they had wired something wrong when installing that light over the carat table (or multivan). But 3 weeks ago I took a drive on the highway to get rid of the lifters clating and noticed everything back to normal, as last year.

My problem has a little variant from yours. I do have the same thing with the headlights, AND with the swith that lights the dash! If I turn off the dashboard lights the temp needle go to the middle, and the temp light flashes, and if I turn it on, the needle falls to the bottom and the temp light goes off (or maybe the other way around)... Oh well...

Like Alan, I am looking for a cure before it goes out of hand, because it will!

Pedro dos Santos 91 vanagon + carat int + pop-top transplant 85 ddcab project

----------------snip------------------------- Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 19:53:29 EDT From: Alan Cote <AlanCote@AOL.COM> Subject: dashboard light games

There's a dashboard light problem on my '86 Westy thought I ask around first if it's a known genetic issue before I start monkeying w/ the voltmeter and the wiring diagram.

Problem: start the van, and everything works A-OK in the instrument cluster. Turn on the headlights, and all gauges (tach, gas guage, etc., not speed needle of course) and dash lights die. But ... if the headlights are turned on BEFORE the van is started, all the dash lights/guages work fine.

Usually they'll still black-out spontaneously once in a while.

Is this a problem solved by thousands before me ??