Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Apr 2003 18:18:27 -0500
From:         Bruce Nadig <motorbruce@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: G 50 - What is it?
Comments: To: eric.fournier@ALAMEDANET.NET

I can definitely agree with most of what Eric wrote. The one thing that I must respectfully disagree on is the information regarding the limited slip differential. It is true that a limited slip was available on the G50 gear boxes, but it was most certainly an option, and and option that was not chosen all that often.

By the time Porsche started building the G50 'boxes their cars had really moved upscale. Owners were becoming more and more concerned with choosing the option of a supple leather interior (as opposed to plain old leather) and fancy trim items than they were with choosing hidden options in the transmission. After all, how many of their buddies at the country club could see the limited slip, much less understand its function?

Eric's description is a good one, but I would add that the G50 'box is just about bulletproof. Currently I am doing a Porsche 3.2 Carrera conversion on my '87 GL and I decided to go with the G50 'box rather than use the Vanagon tranny. The cost for a used G50, while high, is only a little more than I would have to pay a quality rebuilder for a properly-built high-horsepower Vanagon tranny rebuild. One drawback, because the G50 boxes are so good, they are almost impossible to find used. I could locate a couple of modified G50s, but there was only one place I could find in the country that had a good used G50 sitting on the shelf. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford the extra expense of a limited-slip diff this time around.

As an aside, last night my Cary Chang, my friend Jody (a Porsche Master Mechanic) and myself test fit my 3.2 motor and G50 gearbox into my parts van. It was loads of fun. Let me know if you want to see some pictures.

Bruce

_________________________________________________________________ Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail