Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 9 Apr 2003 19:03:24 -0600
From:         John Rodgers <j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: How hard can you push a Westy?
Comments: To: "Royston, Jerry" <gmr@OBPA.USDA.GOV>

All by my lonesome, I drove my 85 GL down the Alaska Highway from Anchorage, Alaska to Birmingham, AL . Total distance - 4500 miles. Alaska Highway was paved all the way. I was actually able to get up to and cruise at 55 mph most of the way on The Highway. Down in lower Canada and the States it was 65 & 70

Drove 12-14 hours a day with only fuel stops. Longest leg of my journey in one day - Ft. Collins, Colorado to Ft. Smith, Arkansas.

Malfunctions on the way. Header pipe weld cracked somewhere in Wyoming. Chose not to fix until destination reached. With the engine in back, me up front, the noise was tolerable. Water pump failed 60 miles out from Birmingham. Got towed the rest of the way.

Other long one-man hauls - Birmingham, AL to Santa Fe, NM in 1-1/2 days in my 88 GL - speed 65.

On the return from Santa Fe, the engine burned a hole through a piston. I got warning signals long before it happened but didn't recognize what the signals meant. No strange noises or even rough running, no over heating indicated, nothing, but every time I would go through a clover leaf or off/on ramp curved to the right the engine wouls lay down a smoke screen. After the engine blew, I realized the smoking was the result of oil slinging up in the cylinder barrels and going past a badly scored place in the barrel and broken piston ring. Had I had more experience I could have perhaps headed off the iminent engine failure.

Final comment. The fellow that rebuilt the engine, is an old time VW mechanic, with lots and lots of rebuilds under his built. He strongly cautioned me not to attempt driving like the rest of the interstate crowd. He said that if I drove like them, the engine would not survive very long. 50,000 miles would be about it. Said the engine just simply wasn't designed for those kinds of speeds. Said drive 60-65 max, and the engine would last a long time, trouble free. Took a bit to gear myself down to that, but now that I have, it's not a problem.

John Rodgers 88 GL Driver