Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Apr 2003 22:10:29 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: G 50 - What is it?

I'm not sure exactly what year the G50 was introduced, but only the following years' production will fit a VW van... 1987-1989; other years the bellhousing is too long. They are heavy units.

There are 6-speed and also 4WD versions.

It isn't actually a Porsche trans, but a Getrag unit... hence the G, I guess.

Unlike Porsche's 915 trans, it has a good-quality shift and doesn't give bearing or synchro troubles.

LSD was standard in Turbos, as was reverse synchro. This is the G50/50 M220 trans, which I imported from Germany... for $1200US! They sent the wrong trans...

Prices go from $1800-2200 in USA, about $1200US in Germany or Holland. They are popular for retrofitting to older 911s, and the short-bellhousing ones especially... though the long ones can be shortened, this costs heaps to do.

MSDS in USA made kits to fit them to T3s, but the company owner was not reliable and has stopped production. Claer in Germany makes a kit too, but is impossible to contact (refuses to answer faxes and has no e-mail), though I am in contact with someone in Europe who says he can get into contact for me. Fax 0049-6774-766, GUT LUCK!!

To work in a VW van you need to fit the 911's gearshift unit into the cockpit floor, as the VW shifter has the wrong throws and reverse is in the wrong location. You will also need adaptor axles and decide what to do with your CVs... either use Porsche 930 CVs and fit Weddle or other adaptor stubaxles, or use VW or earlier (100mm) CVs and adapt the trans' drive flanges... or use 930 inner and VW outer CVs.

The shifter rod is axial, as in older VWs, so adapting is a cinch. No transverse shifter rod rubbish as in the sideshift T3's transmissions.

Where can you get one in USA? Try: PartsHeaven San Francisco <partshvn@ix.netcom.com> <www.partsheaven.com/used_parts.html>

Patrick Motorsports <www.patrickmotorsports.com> G50 $1950 G50 LSD $2750 G50/50 $3650 Short-bellhousing conversion G50 $1450, if you have a long trans

European dealers: Jacobi, Germany Van Zweeden, Holland (can't find my G50 folder with URLs)