Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 10 Apr 2003 08:18:05 -0700
From:         Jeffrey Earl <jefferrata@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      How hard can you push a Westy?
Comments: cc: wilden1@JUNO.COM, j_rodgers@CHARTER.NET, THX0001@AOL.COM

I'm with Stan and John and George on this: sure, you can flog your Vanagon at 70 or 80 MPH, maybe even whip your Westy at those speeds, but why?

Why risk the damage and delay and hassle of a breakdown far from home due to an overstrained engine? When speed is my primary concern, I take a plane. Or maybe my Japanese hatchback or some other "transportation appliance". A Vanagon--especially a Westy--is so much more, and deserves better.

I figure the time I lose by driving a more prudent 60 is regained by the time I save not checking into motels or pitching camp. Like the tortoise and the hare, I've often been passed on the highway by some crazy hotshot, only to catch up to him later at the campground. While he's still clattering around with his tent poles and fumbling with his campstove, I've got my Westy top popped, a kettle of soup simmering, and a cold beer in my hand.

Don't let youself get rushed by impatient motorists doing 20 MPH over the limit. Remember, 65 is the speed LIMIT -- not the speed MINIMUM. That guy riding your tail and flashing his lights at you probably won't stop to help when you seize a piston.

I'm reminded of something I recently read in "Zen and The Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert M. Pirsig: Our "... plans are deliberately indefinite, more to travel than to arrive anywhere. We are just vacationing. Secondary roads are preferred. Paved county roads are the best, state highways are next. Freeways are the worst. We want to make good time but for us now this is measured with emphasis on "good" rather than "time" and when you make that shift in emphasis the whole approach changes."

Slow down, you might see something interesting ...

Jeffrey Earl 1983 diesel Westfalia "Vanasazi"