Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Apr 2003 03:00:00 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Instrument Pod rebuild questions

I'm rebuilding my existing instrument pod in my 83.5 Westy due to the damage the "mechanic" at Fast German Auto in Santa Ana, CA caused when I left the bus for a new clutch. (details of the mess they made at the end of this e-mail)

I have the new face of the instrument pod to install which for reference is part number 251 919 053. At any rate here's what I'm up against in repairing the damage:

1.I'll start you with an easy one. I'm replacing the headlight switch. The original headlight switch is part number 251 941 531B.

ETKA list the headlight switch as part number 251 941 531M for the 83 Vanagon. (In fact this part number seems to be listed for all Vanagons up to about 1989). The 251 941 531M has 2 more terminals than my existing switch--and of course my harness I'm guessing does not have power going to the 2 extra terminals (marked 58R and 58L). Is this switch with the suffix M correct for my bus and will it work and plug right into the existing harness? (Could the extra terminals be to power an illumination bulb for the headlight switch itself which to the best of my knowledge the 83 Vanagon is not equipped with?)

2. All the corners of the black plastic speedometer mounting plate (or backing plate) have broken off the speedo. This leaves no holes to screw and secure the speedo to the instument housing. It looks like two screws hold this black plastic mounting plate to the working part of the speedo. Can I undo those 2 screws on the mounting plate and remove the offending mounting plate from the back of the speedo and replace it with a new or rather used mounting plate in good shape with correct holes in tact (It seems the speedo is only available as an entire unit--no option to buy the mounting plate)? I'm concerned if I undo the two visible screws to remove the mounting plate the innards of the speedo, the gears and springs and such will all fall apart? It is clear by undoing the two screws I will break a seal made by a glob of red paint which I assume is there to indicate the the back of the speedo has been off and therefore raise concern the speedo has been turned back. (I'm not concerned with breaking the seal as much as I am concerned with the innards of the speedo spilling out.)

This last question is a bit intricate and will appeal to those who have completely dismantled an instrument pod down to its many separate components. I'm sure there is rarely need for such a tear down, but for those that have been there...

3.The plastic unit that houses the idiot lights and the corresponding symbols in the center of the instrument pod has disintegrated where the screws enter it and must be replaced. The part number is 251 919 067D and this housing is called "Light Conductor" in ETKA and I will call it the same from here on. (seems a bit of a misnomer) I'll check tomorrow if the part is still available. Problem is it has the blue lense attached to it to make the high beam idiot light glow blue. This is the one that creates the illusion as if there is a blue LED to match the size and shape of the red and green LEDs in the Light Conductor. The blue lense sure appears to be fixed in the Light Conductor so cannot be removed to place the blue lense in the new Light Conductor. Since the part number for the light conductor is the same from 83 to 91 (I think) it would seem it does not come with the blue lense installed. This because the 83 has a green LED to indicate the high beams and the blue lense would be in the green LED's way. There is a part listed in the instrument pod as 357 919 062, a "Bulb with blue cap". Anyone know if this will solve the blue cap I need or is this number just the bulb? ETKA isn't too detailed on this. Or will the light conductor come with a fixed blue lense in place?

Thanks for any advice.

That's the end of the questions. The history of the instrument pod being assaulted follow for those who missed those posts a few months back,

When I picked up the bus from Fast German Auto for a routine clutch replacement I noticed immediately the instrument pod face was cracked around the light switch as well as 2 cracks in the clear plastic over the speedo. The finish was also compromised on the cluster by brake fluid being spilled on and into it. The speedo chamber was swamped with brake fluid--luckly the fluid did not hit the speedo or it's face.

It was a real mess and sad that everyone there denied the damage occured in their shop. The dash was busted so bad the headlight switch was recessed in the dash behind the cracked hole where it belongs. It's also sad because it is apparent someone kicked or clubbed the instrument pod. It was obviously not a routine type of accident that could occur as one tried to fill up, and in this case overfill, the brake fluid reservoir. (The brake fluid was right up to the very top of the reservoir after I picked it up as well and had obviously overflowed.)

It appears the brake fluid that spilled compromised the plastic and that is what cause the Light Conducter screw recieving holes to all get brittle and crumble. Or the blow to the instrument pod by what I'm guessing was a frustrated mechanic may have shattered the plastic. I'm not sure.

Initially I brought the damage to the insturment pod to the sales reps attention before I even got into the vehicle. That and the greasy hand prints in the interior. There was a lot of shoulder shrugging and denying ever being in the bus. The Mechanic actually said he was never in the cab--then recanted when I pointed out the brake fluid in the floor mat and on and in the dash. The mechanic then said design of the brake fluid reservior and its position guaranteed some brake fluid "always spills."

After about 4 intense phone calls to Fast German they agreed to pay for the instrument pod face plate and the headlight switch. The agreement came only after I told them I had spoken with the Better Business Bureau (where they already have a negative rating) and the CA Department of Consumer Affairs and threatened a lawsuit complete with compensation for the cost of having and authorized $VW Dealer$ repair all the damage--which the Dept. of Consumer Affairs advised me was within my rights.

I've never been to court in my life, so I'm not the suing sort. I just wanted the bus fixed. They offered to have their "mechanic" replace the cluster with a used cluster at one point--even though it was clear I had recently installed a new OEM cluster. And needless to say I wasn't going to let anyone in that shop near my bus. I preferred to do the repair myself as it's of a delicate nature. Unfortunately it's taken a while until I get around to it.

I just wish I new what exactly happened at Fast German so I could have a better idea of what I need to fix or at least look at besides the obvious.

That's the story. Thanks for the help.

Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA