Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 11 Apr 2003 06:34:34 -0500
From:         Chuck Mathis <cmathis@HOUSTON.RR.COM>
Subject:      Re: How hard can you push a Westy?
Comments: To: Stan Wilder <wilden1@juno.com>

Roger that. Pretty much the same between Houston-Dallas and Houtson-San Antonio except the traffic has a bit more room to spread out. Between Houston-Austin and Houston-Corpus Christi traffic stays semi reasonable because the roads go through so meny smaller towns. I never have been able to figure out why the road between the state's largest city and the state capitol runs through every rinky dink sausage factory town on the way. Did Houston or Austin get first pick on that deal?

Got my all time best gas mileage between Corpus and Houston. Light traffic so I was able to keep it to 60 and live. Squeezed 21 mpg out of the 1.9l/automatic. That was a good day.

I was going to chime in with my tale of our two day-1200 mile nearly trouble free trip from Cincinnati to Houston a few years ago but it seems rather lame in the face of some of the super trips that have been posted. The van ate the alternator but that would have gone down on short hops eventually. The engine ran great all the way without ever getting close to the LED. No stumbles, no complaints.

Malcolm hasn't chimed in with his trip from Cairo to Rotterdam. That was one of the most enjoyable series of posts on the list that I can remember.

Chuck