Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Apr 2003 10:13:20 -0700
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Coolant Leaking, ok to drive?
Comments: To: shawn luft <shawnagan@SYMPATICO.CA>

Hi,First I would identify exactly where the leak is coming from, it could be as simple as a loose hose clamp or as bad as a new water pump or need of the dreaded head gasket.Also check that T distribution connector on the right side of the the van, they seem to develop a slow leak as well. If it is that, you are lucky, it is easy to change, though you will get wet. If it is the dreaded Vanagon head gasket, depending on how bad it is and how big the puddle is, I would get that fixed before the summer camping. I have gone over a year with a small dropplet leak at the left head, nothing at the right head on my current van. I do birddog this leak and will get it fix before this summer's big camping plans with all the Westfalias on the Iles de la Madeleine in Quebec. It started leaking right at 90K miles. It does seem to leak a bit more in the winter with negative temperatures. If you do decide to get the head gasket replaced, first get both sides done, don't go cheap. If you get a mechanic that will pull the engine out to do this work, take that opportunity to replace the clutch as well. It is cheap and easy to do at that time. I would also take that opportunity to replace the hoses from the water pump to the oil cooler to the thermostat and check that metallic pipe from the oil cooler to the thermostat - any rust on it? Change it! Its real good insurance for this vulnerable pipe. On a previous van, I've had one head with a violent crack in it from the stud to the sparkplug hole and it was leaking from there. I drove it around for a few months adding coolant on a daily basis and watching it steam out of the crack. I got the heads replaced and the gaskets done along with the clutch for about $2000 from a reliable shop around my town (CDI). I had the van back in 3 days. Great! If you do not need new heads and just the head gaskets, I would think this job should run you around $1000-$1200. Again replaced the aging hoses as well. Check the aging gasoline hoses as well for cracks/potential leaks. Good luck Joel with CinnabarVan89 Syncro WestyRochester NYWestern NY LiMBO representative shawn luft <shawnagan@SYMPATICO.CA> wrote:Hello

I recently purchased a nice little '86 Camper GL, however I see there is small drops of radiator coolant accumulating underneath the engine.

I am familiar with the head problems as per vanagon.com, however can you all please share your feeling on this with me. Is it ok to keep driving for a bit? Can I leave for summer vacation with a slow coolant leak? How 'deadly' is this problem, if you keep the coolant levels filled?

I'd appreciate any feedback on this, as it's a new issue to me!

Thanks, Shawn '73 Campmobile '86 Camper GL