Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 8 Apr 2003 11:42:31 -0600
From:         Larry Chase <lchase@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Stall during long decent
Comments: cc: steven@EPOCHDESIGN.COM

Steven,

Interesting.

I've had the same thing happen to my Waterboxer RoadHaus (1990 Syncro Westy).

Each time, I was on a long decent at high altitude ... approx 8500 ft.

The first time I was traveling over I-70 a few mile below the 10,00 ft summit ... one time going West and mnths later going East.

In my case after I coasted to the side of the road .... she started right up on first try and everything was fine.

Figured it might have been a bit of Vanagon Syndrome.

I'm be interested din know what kind of input you get.

On the Road and the Road is Great,

Larry Chase Email: lchase@attglobal.net Web: www.RoadHaus.com What: North American Road Trip How: RoadHaus - 1990 VW Westfalia Syncro Today: Denver, CO

- - - Clipped ....

>>> Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 22:37:46 -0700 From: Steven Dodson <steven@EPOCHDESIGN.COM> Subject: Stall during long decent

There was one thing that happened about two hundred miles from home on our return... After a long decent, I went to accelerate and there was no power. It felt like the engine died, but no engine lights came on (perhaps they don't on Vanagons). After slowing a bit, I down shifted to see if I could get her to start up. Still nothing. Took her out of gear and coasted to a stop. Turned the ignition off, then on. She started right up. Put her in gear and started rolling but by the time I got her in 3rd, she was hesitating, lost power and died again. This happened 3 times. On the forth attempt, success! She started up and ran like nothing ever happened and got up home. <<<