Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Apr 2003 15:04:38 -0400
From:         George Wietor <George.Wietor@SPECTRUM-HEALTH.ORG>
Subject:      Re: Attention Auto Trans Owners!
Comments: To: fonman4277@EARTHLINK.NET

Dealers may not have these parts-I had an old one and made a new metal contact to fit into the square plastic piece you are missing. The quick fix is to go to a junkyard. Find a VW car with auto tranny and remove the shift lever cover. Carefully pry out the square doodad from the lever. Also take a minute to unscrew the white plastic contact plate with all of the wires- this is the safety interlock (was yours perhaps bypassed?). Hey, get some holders for the tiny bulbs as well. Easy, no?. Now find 2 more VW's heading for the crusher and rescue some parts. Save them for the future, or someone else in need. Pmail if you need help. George In Grand Rapids '87 Van 0'White

-----Original Message----- From: Jeff Stewart [mailto:fonman4277@EARTHLINK.NET] Sent: Saturday, April 12, 2003 1:25 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: Attention Auto Trans Owners!

Hello Folks, I need a favor from someone familiar with the automatic trans. Last Sunday when leaving Everybus, my '84 wouldn't start. Turn the key and got warning lights, but starter would not engage. It finally started, and through several restarts that day it was fine. Now that's it's home, it won't start again, same symptoms. Got out the Bentley, and on page 37.2 it shows the neutral/park/backup light contact bridge, and the neutral/park/backup light contact plate, which has contacts facing toward the shift lever. Now, on my shift lever I have only a square hole, no contact bridge as pictured. I am assuming it fell out, and if so it must have disintegrated, cause I can't find it anywhere. Could someone verify I am on the right track here, I am pretty sure that I am. Now, if I need this part, anyone know where I can find it? Bus Depot? Dealer(last resort)? Thanks! Jeff