Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 12 Apr 2003 20:29:15 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Cleaning corroded connectors

Stan,

I assumed you meant to say conductive, instead of nonconductive, since 3M makes a conductive silicone grease. Is there also a nonconductive version? (I know little about this stuff, but plan on getting some tomorrow if I can find it). I always figured it was better to have a conductive grease, as it can possibly lower the resistance at the connector by increasing the contact area. But this only applies to single conductor connectons of course. For multiple conductor connections as many of the FI ones are, nonconductive makes sense. In my case, I find any of the FI connectors with the spring release sealed boots (ie: the fuel injectors, AFM, temp sensors, etc) are *very* good at sealing out the elements. My van has an incredible amount of corrosion in the engine compartment in general (300k km of its life spent in Ontario), yet all of these connectors seem to have no corrosion when pulled apart. The exposed ground connections are a different story. I snapped the ground bolt to driver side body off a few years ago, and today the ground bolt to the driver side head broke off as I tried to remove it to clean the connections. I used the adjacent allan-head bolt holding a metal coolant line instead, for now. I'm going to get some heavy gauge cable tomorrow & try to establish a solid ground from the alterntor to the body on the other side, so this ground should be less critcal.

Shawn Wright, I.T. Manager Shawnigan Lake School swright@SLS.bc.ca http://Zuiko.sls.bc.ca/swright http://www.sls.bc.ca