Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 13 Apr 2003 11:21:13 -0700
From:         Shawn Wright <swright@ZUIKO.SLS.BC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Gear whine causes

Dennis,

Thanks for this info. Do you (or anyone else) have any experience with Amsoil gear oils? I am worried that when I take it back to Autospiel, he is going to blame the noise on the oil. When I had it in last to report a failed R&P (a year after the first rebuild to replace the output bearings), he was very suspicious of the oil that I had switched to soon after the first rebuild - Redline MTL. I now know that MTL is not the correct viscosity (I should have used MT90), but after speaking with Redline tech support about it, and my R&P failure, I was told that using MTL instead of MT90 would not have caused the R&P to fail, especially after less than 10k kms since the rebuild. I'm afraid it will be a repeat of this if I take it in now with Amsoil in the case. Again, it has been only about 15-20k kms since the second rebuild, so I have a *brand new* R&P with 15-20K and output bearings with about 25-30k kms since the 1st rebuild. It would seem to me that if either of these is the cause, then something wasn't done right. Regardless of the cause, I will have a hard time getting any satisfaction from Autospiel I imagine, since it has been 3 years since the 2nd rebuild now. I have heard many good things about Russell at Autospiel, but my two experiences are not looking good at the moment. I guess I am being penalized for not driving the van enough, for I would have found out sooner if I did...