Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 14 Apr 2003 09:01:59 -0700
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      rear brake shoe and cylinder replacement

Replacing the rear brakes looks harder than it actual is. I would not replace the shoes without replacing the wheel cycliners as Busdepot has cylinders for about 12 each. I would not use rebuilt shoes as part of the brake adjustment mechanism is part of the shoe. Pulling the drums if they are stuck can take a bit of time so I suggest you pull the drums sometime to just check the brakes. At first glance it appears that the hub needs to be pulled in order to do the brakes. It might make getting to the spings easier but hardly worth the effort of getting those hubs off and on. So leave the hubs be and work around them. My hub had a notch in it so I could rotate the notched to get at the springs better. I would suggest that you do expose both wheels at the same time so you have a pattern to look at while doing the the other wheel. You will do a lot of pulling and positioning of the shoes to get at the springs so wear gloves. You may even want to practice putting the old shoes back on so that you don't dirty up the new shoes. For assembly 1) I put a rubber band on the new wheel cylinder to keep the cylinder together as the fluid kept pushing the pistons out. 2) I put all three springs on the shoes before positioning the shoes in their proper position. 3)The brake adjustment rod should be positioned after the shoes are in place. Take care to position the rear part of this rod against the lever to the em.brake and not the shoe itself. Once you have done this job you relaize that it could be done in less than two hours. gary