Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:23:26 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@MFX.NET>
Subject:      Re: Essential Tools

<snip> What tools do you keep in your vannies? What are the essential tools to have for basic maintenance and emergency repair (I already have duct tape covered! :-) ? <snip>

To some degree, it depends on what tools you're either qualified or willing to use.

Years ago, I relied on Murphy's Law .... i.e. If I had all the tools and all the spares with me .... Nothing would break. Then I got a Vanagon. It doesn't matter whether you've got the tools and/or the spares .... it's gonna break anyway.

On one trip in my '84, extended family aboard, I pulled into a rest stop and the engine died before I reached a parking spot (coasted into one). It wouldn't fire. I had fried the ECU. Well, I had a spare under the rear seat. A quick swap and we were back on the road. I have since replaced my spare ECU. Won't leave home without it.

On another trip in the '84, my water pump went out (leaking badly at the shaft) without warning. I had the tools .... but was at the mercy of a FLAPS for the pump. It cost me $100.00 instead of $50. I now have a spare water pump onboard.

When I went from Maine to Virginia to pick up the '85 Westy I had purchased, I took a full tool box, and boy am I glad. It ran perfectly for 280 miles then it blew the big rubber head gaskets. I had all the tools with me to replace the gaskets which included, among other things, the 10X1.5 tap & die for cleaning the studs and cap nuts and a torque wrench. I ordered the gasket kit from Vanagain and proceded to "open 'er up". I did the job with engine in van and wheels on ground. I was parked on dirt so digging shallow trenches below the heads (to allow swinging the torque wrench) made the job possible without stands.

I always have in the van I'm taking a trip in, belts, fuel filter, fuel line, distributor cap & rotor, ECU, water pump, various lengths and sizes of hose, various sizes of PVC pipe and clamps (for splicing hose), various C-clamps, crocus cloth, sand paper, a multi meter, electrical wire and aligator clips, and all the usual tool sets including extra socket extensions, wobbles and u-joints. Oh, .... and Duct Tape .... heheheheh.

In the Westy, I have a water tank to rely on. In the 7 passenger, I make sure I have a jug or two of coolant .... just in case.

Mike

'84 GL 7 pass automatic '85 GL Westy 4 speed