Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 18 Apr 2003 22:31:23 -0400
From:         Marc Perdue <marcperdue@ADELPHIA.NET>
Subject:      Re: How to keep cool in your van

Up top, the controls are as such, sort of (true on my '87 w/out A/C):

Top lever: Move it right to direct air to the front windshield defogger vents, left to close them.

Second lever: Temp control. Move it left to close the valve that allows coolant to run through the heater core in your ventilation box. Problem here is the way the cable is attached there is too much of the metal core of the cable sticking out from the insulating cover and repeated adjustment causes it to kink because you're trying to push the cable back into its cover.

Third lever: Controls a flap that opens and closes to direct air through the front door ducts. The one in the driver's side door basically goes nowhere, but if you open the flap in the door, you can direct air to the back of the driver's seat. Don't ask me why you'd want to do that, but there it is. On the passenger's side, if you leave the door flap closed, air is directed up through the door pillar, through a duct over the sliding door, and out the overhead vents to the back passengers. You might notice a covered foam block in the front hole that leads to the driver's door duct. Presumable this is there to block air flow to that duct?

Fourth lever: Controls a flap that allows air to be directed out of the center console in front of the shift. Move it right to get more air from the console.

Down below, the temp control cable is attached to a small plastic valve above the spare tire, somewhat to the passenger side, and the valve has coolant lines attached to either side of it. It's kind of hard to get to, so it'd be better to replace the cable and only have to get to that valve once.

Marc Perdue