Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 20 Apr 2003 23:11:02 EDT
From:         Robert Lilley <Wolfvan88@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Getting a handle on Idle problems...

I think that if one understands what each part does and how it interacts with the idle system, that one can be better able to fix problems. This goes for the rest of the FI components.

The Idle control valve: - Is simply a fan that pumps air into the center plenum. -The volume is metered by the airflow meter. -The volume is determined by the idle control module. The increase or decrease in speed based on out puts from various sensors.

The throttle body: -passes a determined amount of air past the closed butterfly due to its factory settings. -The big screw in the throttle body allows for additional volume of metered air to pass. -Has the throttle switch sensor Digifant has a single throttle switch mounted on bottom. Digijet has two switches mounted on top

Air flow meter: -The screw in the air flow meter allows for UN-METERED air to pass into the idle circuit.

Throttle switch: -When throttle is closed it turns control of the idle over to the idle control module from the ECU.

O2 Sensor: -gives feed back to idle control module as to correct amount of fuel during idle. (is it Ignored at idle and the amount of fuel is based on metered air flow and temp II readings?)

Fuel pressure regulator: -at idle it should be around 29 PSI (+-3 PSI) -vacuum hose is in good shape

When I have tried to increase my idle speed by turning out the screw on the throttle body, it increases RPMs, but then after a few moments it drops back to 880. When I turn the screw in the RPMs dropped, but after a few moments the idle goes back to 880 (I even turned it in completely closed). Increase timing and engine RPMs increase and in a few moments it drops back to 880. I checked the readings from O2 sensor and it was running rich It has got me thinking that the idle control module keeps the idle to a factory setting and it uses the sensors to get to that setting. The idle control valve is adding a set amount of metered air, it is running all the time at a certain rpm, during off idle rpm. During idle it either speeds the valve up or down depending on needs.

I had to turn the screw on the AFM out about seven turns to get the O2 sensor to drop to .6 during idle. In reading the Bentley, the two screws are for setting the correct CO level. I might be getting too much air past my butterfly valve after I took it apart and polished the rough inside, then allotted for by the ECU that is affecting my HC at Idle. Too much metered air Vs UN-metered air. The idle control valve could be running slower to keep the RPMs at the factory specs due to the measured amount of air flow but cannot add enough air to match the fuel amount so it runs rich. I will do some more checking Monday.

If your idle is running rough check:

That your injectors are not leaking You do not have any vacuum leaks Your temp 2 sensor is in specs (the one that measures coolant temp) You do not have exhaust leaks at flanges or holes in pipes. Cap and rotor are good Plug wires are good check the resistance! I had new looking wires that tested bad. spark plugs bad your fuel pressure regulator is good AFM: air Temp sensor in spec AFM is OK Grounds in Engine compartment OK air filter not too dirty compression low in one more cylinders coolant leaking into exhaust Idle control valve is dirty-clogged up, not turning correctly Idle control module not working correctly. If your AC works, test by turning it on and seeing if idle stays steady or increases under load. If not check wire from AC clutch plug to Idle control module. THIS assumes that the valve has been checked and is OK.

There are other things to check, but cannot think of any anymore, my brain is tired...

Robert