Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (April 2003, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:17:28 -0700
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Continuing Cold Stall Problem - HELP!!!
Comments: To: Todd Last <rubatoguy@mindspring.com>

I have to agree with Todd up to a point, With any cold start problem one should look at plugs, plug wires and cap as replacement items if they have not yet been replaced. These should be replaced before the temp 2 sensor. Given that you have done this work and the van runs good warm but bad at startup, the next things is to pull the o2 sensor wire and see if it runs as good warmed up without the 02 sensor. If it does I would look at the plugs before starting it cold and do a sniff test on each cylinder? gary --- Todd Last <rubatoguy@mindspring.com> wrote: > When I had this problem it turned out to be a bad > (intermittant) plug wire. (And idle stabilzer relay > - the box behind the tail light) > > Todd > '87 Westy > -------Original Message------- > From: gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM> > Sent: 04/15/03 08:18 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Continuing Cold Stall Problem - HELP!!! > > > > > Richard, > I am assuming it runs good after it is warmed > up? You need to provide more information. But if > this is the case I would check the plugs before you > start the vehicle. Perhaps you have a leaky > injector > that leaks after you shut the van off? > gary > > Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 18:54:52 -0400 > From: Richard Golen <rgolen@UMASSD.EDU> > Subject: Continuing Cold Stall Problem - HELP!!! > > I've noticed a rash of cold start problems on > wasserboxers lately on > this > list. My 87 has had the same problem for a while. So > I > replaced the > temp > sensor near the thermostat...replaced the > thermostat....unplugged the > oxy > sensor (no change).....plugged back the oxy sensor > (no > change).... > > So last week when the wisdom of the list said > "replace > the idle > stabilizer > valve" I decided to try that. I "borrowed" the > stabilizer from my > wife's 90 > cabriolet. Put it in the 87 (I put the 87's old > stabilizer in her > cabriolet. Her cabriolet runs fine...the 87 still > has > the problem with > bad > idle when the engine is cold. > > Obviously the 87 is running rich at cold start...I > can > see the black > smoke...I can smell the excess hydrocarbons....and > the > engine runs > rough > off idle until the plugs burn clean... > > So what do I do next???? AAAARRRRRGGGGG!!! > > > > __________________________________________________ > Do you Yahoo!? > The New Yahoo! Search - Faster. Easier. Bingo > <a target=_blank > href="http://search.yahoo.com">http://search.yahoo.com</a> > >